Free Case Evaluation
South Carolina Uber and Lyft Accident Lawyer
Helping rideshare accident victims secure the help they need, when they need it
The rideshare industry in South Carolina has exploded over the last few years, much like it has across the country. The industry has become so popular that many people request an Uber or a Lyft to take them to the airport, to the doctor’s office, or to the grocery store. Other people use these rideshare companies and their drivers after a night out with friends. Unfortunately, if the rideshare driver is not careful or if the company has hired a bad driver, auto accidents, pedestrian casualties or sexual assaults can happen. When an Uber or Lyft driver is involved in any of these preventable incidents, devastating injuries can occur.
At McGowan, Hood, Felder & Phillips, LLC, our South Carolina Uber and Lyft accident lawyers help injured clients get the help they need. Whether you were hit by an Uber or Lyft driver, were injured while riding in a rideshare vehicle, or were assaulted physically or sexually by a driver, we are here to assist you. Please contact us today. If this involves matters of sexual assault, please rest assured that all information shared is strictly confidential. We have female lawyers on staff if you prefer speaking to a female.
Free Case Evaluation
What is the Ridesharing Safety Act?
The Samantha L. Josephson Ridesharing Safety Act (also called Sami’s Law) was signed into law early in June 2019 by South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster. This new law requires all Uber and Lyft drivers to display their license plate information on the front of their vehicles on a placard that is easy to read and in large print. The letters and numbers on the placard must be larger than two inches and can be displayed on the passenger side of the front windshield where the Uber and Lyft decals are also displayed. People misrepresenting themselves as rideshare drivers can now face fines and jail time in South Carolina as part of this new law.
What are common injuries from rideshare accidents?
What do I do if I’m sexually assaulted in a rideshare vehicle?
If you are sexually assaulted, or a victim of any kind of violence in an Uber or Lyft – either by a passenger or by the driver – you can file a claim in civil court for damages. A civil claim is different from criminal charges that may or may not be levied against your attacker, and the outcome in one case may have no bearing on the outcome of the other. We understand that this is an incredibly personal matter, and should you wish to pursue a claim, we promise to treat you and your case with the dignity and discretion you deserve.
Additionally, many victims do not come forward because they were drinking at the time of such incidents. We understand that intoxication may prevent some people from reporting their claim or being hesitant to come forward. Please understand, we are aware of this potential wrinkle in a case and are aware of how to address such an issue in litigation. Do not be deterred if you have been a victim of sexual assault. Call us now to discuss this issue. We have female attorneys if you prefer to speak to one.
Who is liable for my South Carolina Uber or Lyft accident?
When there is some type of incident with Uber and Lyft, both the driver and the company are covered by liability insurance. There is a mistaken belief that because drivers operate as independent contractors and not employees, this could mean that Uber and/or Lyft bear little responsibility when one of their drivers causes a crash or assaults someone. In reality, however, there has been vast amounts of litigation about this subject and both the driver and the company bear responsibility in almost every situation involving injury to a passenger.
- Uber or Lyft driver's liability: If the accident was caused by the negligence or misconduct of the Uber or Lyft driver, they could be held liable for the damages. This could include situations where the driver was distracted, speeding, under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or violated traffic laws.
- Uber or Lyft's liability: Uber and Lyft are Transportation Network Companies (TNCs) that provide ridesharing services. In some cases, they may bear some degree of liability for accidents involving their drivers. However, their liability coverage usually depends on the driver's status at the time of the accident:
- Driver offline. If the Uber or Lyft driver was not logged into the app or was not providing services at the time of the accident, the driver's personal auto insurance policy would likely apply.
- Driver online (without passenger). If the driver was logged into the app and available to accept rides but did not have a passenger in the vehicle at the time of the accident, Uber and Lyft may provide liability coverage.
- Driver online (with passenger). If the driver had a passenger in the vehicle at the time of the accident, Uber and Lyft typically provide higher liability coverage to protect the passenger and others involved in the accident.
- Third-party liability: Depending on the circumstances, other parties may also be liable for the accident. For example, if the accident was caused by a third-party driver's negligence, that driver could be held responsible. Additionally, if there was a defect in the vehicle that contributed to the accident, the vehicle manufacturer or a maintenance provider could potentially be held liable.
Rest assured that our injury lawyers are prepared at every turn to show why someone else is liable for your injuries and losses.
Do you have an Uber and Lyft accident attorney near me?
McGowan, Hood, Felder & Phillips, LLC is located at 1539 Health Care Drive in Rock Hill, SC. If you are too ill or injured to visit us, we can see you in the hospital or meet via telephone or video conference.
We also maintain offices in or near Charleston, Columbia, Myrtle Beach, and Greenville, and serve clients throughout the State of South Carolina in all 46 counties, including Sumter, Anderson, Orangeburg, Hilton Head, Aiken, and Spartanburg.
Speak with an experienced South Carolina Uber and Lyft accident attorney today
Suffering an injury in an Uber or Lyft can leave you with massive medical bills, debt, and cause you to miss work for an extended period. The experienced team from McGowan, Hood, Felder & Phillips, LLC can help you recover the compensation you deserve. If this involves a case of sexual assault, our experienced attorneys understand the sensitive nature of this type of claim and will do whatever is necessary to ensure you are comfortable discussing any such situation. Call our offices at 803-327-7800 or complete our contact form to schedule a consultation at one of our multiple office locations throughout South Carolina.