Meet South Carolina Complex Corporate Litigator Tim McKissock
Tim McKissock is the head of the Firm's Complex Corporate Litigation Practice. Prior to joining McGowan, Hood, Felder & Phillips, Tim was a long-time equity partner and member of firm leadership at Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP. His practice largely focuses on medical negligence, catastrophic personal injury cases, wrongful death claims, and product liability claims. In addition, his experience in business-to-business litigation offers clients a unique perspective when it comes to building and presenting their cases.
Tim has handled high profile litigation cases for more than 25 years, overseeing large document productions, preparing corporate witnesses for 30(b)(6) depositions, and advising top corporate executives.
Tim is an experienced and sought-after mediator who has been certified by the State of South Carolina as a circuit court mediator and has completed the Strategic Negotiations Program at Harvard Business School.
Throughout his career, Tim has presented to counsel, management, and staff of large companies regarding best business practices and litigation trends and has guided clients through litigation challenges and other disputes. In his practice, he has also regularly arbitrated disputes before various local and national arbitration forums. Tim has represented some of the nation's largest public and private corporations, including:
- For more than a decade, served as lead counsel in South Carolina to one of the United States' largest providers of post-acute healthcare services
- Firm relationship partner and advisor to the largest privately-held company in the United States, a multinational conglomerate involved in manufacturing, chemicals, petroleum, and energy, among other sectors
- Lead counsel for one of the country's top entertainment attorneys and international law firm in highly-publicized litigation regarding a multi-million dollar royalty dispute involving one of the nation's most iconic singers, songwriters, and band leaders
- For more than two decades, represented some of the world's largest airlines in business disputes and catastrophic injury and wrongful death cases
- Representation of a leading American multinational manufacturer as a plaintiff against a component part supplier in the recovery of business losses, resulting in a significant multi-million dollar recovery
- Served as national counsel to one of the nation's largest retail sellers of gold and silver coins in arbitration and litigation matters regarding its marketing and business practices, as well as in assisting its executives in preparing for Congressional testimony, drafting statements to the national media, and responding to local criminal investigations
As a leader at Nelson Mullins, Tim oversaw partners and of counsel attorneys in 25 offices across the country and served as chairperson of Nelson Mullins' partnership selection committee. In this role, he presented to hundreds of attorneys on professional development and strategies for providing the highest level of client service.
- South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- Loyola Law School, JD, cum laude(1994)
- Tulane University Law School, European Legal Studies (1994)
- University of Mary Washington, BA, Political Science (1990)