Meet South Carolina Complex Corporate Litigator Erin Stuckey
Prior to joining McGowan, Hood, Felder & Phillips, Erin practiced for more than 15 years in the Charleston and Columbia, South Carolina offices of Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough. Her unique background benefits her clients at McGowan, Hood, Felder & Phillips because she can anticipate how defense counsel will proceed with a case and address those issues from the start.
Erin has significant experience litigating complex business and personal injury cases, including overseeing large-scale document reviews and managing contract attorneys and foreign-language reviews. In addition to her litigation practice, Erin counseled product manufacturers and distributors regarding regulatory compliance issues, including assessing compliance with consumer product safety regulations and responding to Consumer Product Safety Commission inquiries and investigations. She also has experience in applying formal project management techniques to complex litigation matters to provide forecasting, reporting, fixed fee management, and litigation timelines to clients, and has been a co-presenter on legal project management to various groups of in-house counsel across the country.
Erin has represented businesses and individual clients in a wide range of business disputes and personal injury cases, including:
- Representation of a multinational appliance manufacturer as a plaintiff against a component part supplier in the recovery of business losses, including coordination of nationwide discovery efforts, foreign-language depositions, and management of the review of foreign-language documents
- Class and derivative suit counsel for plaintiff property owners who sued a homeowners' association board of directors for conduct alleged to have caused damage to property values
- Representation of a trustee in litigation to recover funds claimed to have been misappropriated from a family trust
- Successful appeal on behalf of a disabled client on a pro bono basis resulting in the reversal of the Social Security Administration's prior denial of benefits, and securing for the client an award of past and future benefits
- Representation of hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, nurses, and therapists in a variety of litigation and arbitration matters, including professional negligence, breach of contract, and negligent credentialing matters
- Representation of global airlines in catastrophic injury and death cases as well as in a business-to-business dispute
Erin was born and raised in Dillon, South Carolina. She graduated magna cum laude with her undergraduate degree in English from the University of South Carolina and went on to earn her law degree from the University of South Carolina School of Law. During law school, she served as the Senior Articles Editor for the ABA Real Property, Probate and Trust Journal and was awarded the ABA Real Property, Probate and Trust Journal Award for Best Student Comment. Erin has served as a guest instructor on discovery in Advanced Legal Writing classes at the University of South Carolina School of Law and Charleston School of Law.
Erin resides with her husband and son in the Columbia area. They are actively involved at Riverland Hills Baptist Church, where they serve as volunteers in the children’s ministry.
- South Carolina
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina
- U.S. Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- University of South Carolina School of Law, 2006, J.D.
- University of South Carolina, 2003, B.A., English, magna cum laude