Meet South Carolina Injury Attorney Robert V. Phillips
South Carolina injury attorney Robert V. Phillips is a valued member of the legal team at McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC. Contact him for a consultation about serious personal injury cases, medical malpractice, insurance bad faith and more. Call 888.302.7546 and schedule a free case evaluation.
Robert concentrates his practice at McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC on helping people seriously injured by the negligence of others. Selected for inclusion in South Carolina Super Lawyers ® for 2011 and voted one of the Top 100 Lawyers in South Carolina, Robert has a record of obtaining million-dollar verdicts and settlements for his personal injury clients.
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- South Carolina, 2000
- U.S. District Court District of South Carolina, 2001
- University of South Carolina School of Law, Columbia, South Carolina, 2000 J.D.
- Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina, 1994 B.A., Language and International Trade (French)
- American Association for Justice
- Insurance Section
- Medical Negligence Section
- Motor Liability Section
- Civil Rights Section
- South Carolina Association for Justice
- Board of Governors (2006 – Present)
- Executive Committee (2008 – Present)
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association
- Board of Governors (2012 – Present)
- Super Lawyers: Rated one of only 57 medical malpractice Super Lawyers in the State and one of only 9 civil rights Super Lawyers in the State
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum: Membership is restricted only to those lawyers who have obtained a trial verdict of $1 million or more. Less than 1% of lawyers qualify for membership
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum: Membership is restricted only to those lawyers who have obtained a trial verdict or settlement of $2 million or more.
- Top 100 Lawyers
- Voted one of the Top 100 Lawyers in South Carolina
Your case counts. Contact an accident attorney in Columbia, SC today
South Carolina injury lawyer Robert V. Phillips focuses his practice on catastrophic car accidents, truck accidents and 18-wheeler collisions, cycling accident/injuries, medical malpractice, bad faith insurance litigation and 1983 Civil Rights/excessive force claims. Robert has tried to verdict numerous cases in South Carolina and North Carolina, and in both State and Federal Courts.
Mr. Phillips has obtained numerous verdicts and settlements in excess of $1 Million in his areas of practice and is a member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. He obtained one of the largest punitive verdicts in this part of the State in a medical malpractice case where Mr. Phillips discovered and proved the defendant had altered a patient’s medical records. Mr. Phillips has also successfully tried a number of complex bicycle vs. automobile cases. Mr. Phillips’ experience as a cyclist himself, gives him special insight into the intricacies of these difficult cases. Several of Mr. Phillips’ trial verdicts have been reported on the front pages of Lawyer’s Weekly and picked up by the AP News Wire.
Due to his results in these areas of the law, Mr. Phillips is often asked to present on the topics of police excessive force and bad faith insurance claims at seminars in South Carolina and around the country. Many lawyers from around the state and this part of the country associate Mr. Phillips to handle these cases for them.
In 2006, Robert was elected by his fellow lawyers to the Board of Governors for the South Carolina Association for Justice (SCAJ). He currently serves on the Executive Committee for SCAJ.
A personal look at Attorney Phillips
Robert was born in Huntsville, Alabama, where he grew up playing junior tennis and ice hockey. After becoming one of the top junior tennis players in the United States, he attended Clemson University on a tennis scholarship. Following his junior year, he turned professional and competed on the ATP Tour (professional tennis tour). While on tour, he attained a ranking in the top 250 players in the world.
After retiring from the tour, Robert returned to Clemson University where he completed his undergraduate studies. He then went back to France and attended the Université Catholique de Lille, where he studied business for a year and then returned home to South Carolina and attended law school at USC as the graduate assistant coach for the Men’s Tennis Team.
Robert lives in Charlotte with his wife Birgit. Together, they enjoy snow skiing, travelling, cooking and playing with their dog, Heidi. Robert also still plays in semi-professional tennis tournaments, competes in triathlons and currently represents North Carolina each year in the Southern Cup Tennis Championships. Robert has also completed several Ironman Triathlons in Florida, Georgia and Texas.