Rock Hill Personal Injury Attorneys
Helping serious injury victims throughout South Carolina get justice
One act of negligence, one product that doesn’t work, or one assault can mean death, a lifetime of pain, or a long recovery. Businesses and individuals who cause this harm should be held accountable for physical pain, emotional suffering, the inability to earn a living, and medical bills. In some cases, it is not even necessary to prove fault—just that an accident occurred and caused you harm.
At McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC, we have grown from three founders to nearly 20 lawyers. Our Rock Hill personal injury attorneys are dedicated to guiding clients through this traumatic part of their lives. Through intensive discovery, artful negotiation, and persuasive legal arguments, our firm has achieved a positive reputation for helping clients throughout South Carolina get justice.
Comprehensive personal injury representation
Our Rock Hill personal injury lawyers represent clients who have been hurt for a variety of reasons, including:
- Vehicle accidents. We represent drivers, passengers, and pedestrians who have been injured in collisions involving cars, trucks, and motorcycles. We understand how vehicle accidents happen and what injuries are common. Our firm understands how to prove fault in court.
- Medical malpractice. Our lawyers are experienced in holding medical providers responsible when they fail to provide proper care. This includes diagnosis errors, emergency room and surgical errors, improper treatments, failure to obtain informed consents, and other acts of negligence.
- Birth injury. We represent parents whose newborns suffered birth injury due to the negligence of a doctor or obstetrician. These types of injuries can include cerebral palsy, shoulder dystocia, brachial plexus injuries, and neurological or brain damage.
- Nursing home negligence and abuse. Seniors and families place their trust in nursing homes. When these homes are negligent or abuse the senior in any way, we work to hold the home and workers accountable.
- Dangerous drugs and devices. Many drugs and medical devices can cause patients to suffer long-term harm that may be incapable of repair. The businesses that make these products have a duty to place safety before profits. Irresponsible businesses and healthcare providers who fail to properly protect and advise patients should be held liable.
- Premises liability. When you buy a retail item or use the services of a business, you have a right to expect the owner will have taken proper safety precautions. Floors should not be slippery. Lighting should guide customers and passersby. Security should help those rightfully on someone’s premises. Whatever the reason for a slip and fall, a dog bite, or other harm, we have the experience needed to get results.
- Construction site accidents. Employees, contractors, and people passing by a construction site rely on the site supervisor to protect them from harm while work is being done. Items should not fall. Floors should be level. Machinery should work. When harm occurs, we explain when a lawsuit is appropriate and when workers’ compensation claims should be brought.
- Workers’ compensation. Injured workers are normally entitled to a significant percentage of their lost wages while they cannot work and if they are partially or fully disabled. Employers and their insurance companies should also pay a worker’s reasonable medical bills and, when justified, vocational rehabilitation costs.
- Defective products. If electronics fail, machinery malfunctions, toys cause harm, or other product defects occur, litigation may be an answer. Our lawyers are adept at brining product liability claims against every business responsible.
If you have been injured due to another’s negligence, our Rock Hill personal injury attorneys demand all the damages that apply, including lost wages, medical bills, pain and suffering, and the wrongful death of a loved one. This can also include demanding punitive damages for egregious wrongs. Additional damage items that may apply include scarring, disfigurement, and property damage.
What damages can I claim in my Rock Hill injury case?
The goal of a personal injury action is to compensate the victim and allow them to heal physically, mentally, and financially. Our attorneys work to secure compensation on your behalf for the damages and losses caused by your accident.
Here in South Carolina, the courts typically allow a victim to seek three types of damages:
- Economic damages. Financial compensation can include reimbursement for your current and future lost wages, medical bills, prescriptions, physical therapy and rehab, accommodations for disability, and other monetary losses related to your injuries.
- Non-economic damages. These types of damages compensate a victim for non-tangible losses. These can include things like pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life.
- Punitive damages. The first two types of damages are meant to compensate the victim for their losses. However, in cases of grievous and extreme negligence, a court may also aware punitive damages. These are a way to both punish the defendant as well as deter future negligent behavior.
It’s important to note that every state in the country has different types of rules around personal injury awards and negligence. South Carolina, for example, is a modified comparative negligence state. Under comparative negligence, a victim is eligible to claim compensation if they are 50 percent or less at fault for the accident. If you’re assigned any percentage of responsibility for your accident, your compensation will be reduced by that same percentage.
How can you help with my personal injury case?
If you or a loved one have suffered injury in an accident, your first priority is your health and recovery. Then, you may be wondering your next steps. Our attorneys can guide you through the process, ensuring you have all the right information. We gather the essential details necessary for a successful outcome. Here are some of the questions we typically ask when we consult with you.
- When did your injury or accident happen (or when was it first diagnosed)? In South Carolina, the statute of limitations on a personal injury claim is three years. This is why it’s crucial to speak to a lawyer as soon as possible after your accident to ensure proper time to file paperwork and collect documentation and evidence.
- What were your injuries at the time of the accident? What is your condition now? Do you have ongoing complications or symptoms? Permanent or temporary disability or disfigurement? Request a copy of all your medical documents and records of visits.
- What is the extent of your bills? Save and track your doctor visits, your insurance paperwork, costs of medication, and every cost associated with your accident and injuries.
- How much time have you had to take off work due to your injuries? Have you lost paychecks and wages, or even your job? This is also compensable in your personal injury case.
At McGowan, Hood & Felder, our experienced attorneys are dedicated to protecting your right to compensation for your injuries. We advocate for you throughout every step of the process, fighting for justice.
What are examples of personal injuries in Rockville?
Every type of accident is unique, just like the person it happens to. And, every person’s body reacts differently to injury – what might take one person a month to recover from could take you six. Any type of physical trauma, from minor to severe, can develop into a long-term injury causing lifelong consequences. Our law firm handles all types of injuries stemming from all types of accidents, working to secure compensation for:
- Bone breaks and fractures
- Burn injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Whiplash and soft tissue injuries
- Wrongful death
The most severe of these injuries are called catastrophic injuries, and typically cause lifelong disability and pain. We fight for the maximum compensation allowed by law when negligence causes these types of traumatic injury, and we won’t back down.
Often called “catastrophic injuries,” physical trauma like amputation, brain injuries and spinal cord injuries are especially traumatic, as they can cause lifelong disability and pain. Wrongful death is also included in personal injury so loved ones may bring legal action against the responsible party or parties. When someone else is careless with your life or the life of your loved one, we will not back down in our pursuit of justice.
Contact a reliable Rock Hill personal injury lawyer now
The Rock Hill personal injury lawyers at McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC, have been helping clients get justice for more than 20 years. We compassionately answer all our clients’ questions while fighting aggressively with insurance companies and defense counsel. Our attorneys prepare each case so it is ready to go to a full trial. For reliable trusted advice, please phone us at 803-327-7800 or fill out our contact form. We offer free initial case evaluations from our Rock Hill, South Carolina office.