Experienced Rock Hill Birth Injury Attorneys
Strong counsel when OB/GYNs make delivery room mistakes in South Carolina
Delivery room mistakes are often tragic. Some mothers and children die. Often, survivors need around-the-clock medical care. Those who are able to achieve something close to a normal life usually need extensive rehabilitative treatment. When medical professionals who deliver children make mistakes, they should be held accountable.
The Rock Hill birth injury lawyers at McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC, understand the trauma of deliveries that are not done properly. Our lawyers help mothers, children, and relatives throughout South Carolina get justice. We fight aggressively to prove medical fault and to show the extreme severity of the birth room injuries.
The risks of birth delivery malpractice
If a mother or child has any of the following difficulties because of a labor that was faulty, we are ready to help:
- Impaired motor skills
- Impaired cognitive skills
- Growth irregularities
- Damage to muscles or joints
- Nerve pain
- Spinal cord damage
- Breathing difficulties
Our Rock Hill birth injury attorneys also represent families who lost a loved one due to obstetrical negligence. We work tirelessly to get compensation for all necessary medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, scarring, and disfigurement.
Some of the types of delivery mistakes birth doctors make
Obstetric mistakes can cause a child to suffer many types of birth injuries, including the following types:
- Cerebral palsy. Children with cerebral palsy have many long-term difficulties, including bone deformities, joint damage, learning problems, and uncomfortable motor movements. Cerebral palsy is often caused when a lack of oxygen leads a newborn to suffer brain damage.
- Hypoxia. Hypoxia is a formal medical term for a lack of oxygen to the brain, which can cause many problems other than cerebral palsy, such as damage to the brain and nerves. Children with hypoxia may have difficulty breathing and may even die. Many newborns develop cognitive disabilities. Some develop epilepsy especially if they have Infant Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE).
- Forceps injuries/disfigurement. Some birth doctors use forceps in difficult deliveries. Forceps should only be used when needed. The risks of incompetent forceps use include disfigurement, skull fractures, damage to the spinal cord, bleeding, and other serious health issues.
- Vacuum extraction injury. This procedure is used in some complicated deliveries. A vacuum pump and cup are used to help get the baby’s head away from the birth canal. There are many known risks. The procedure must be performed skillfully. Complications for the mom include genital tract harm, problems urinating, anemia, and damage to the pelvic muscles. Newborns may have brachial plexus, fractured collarbones, skull wounds, or fractures.
- Erb’s palsy. The Erb’s point is the nerve area of a newborn’s neck. In Erb’s palsy, there is damage to the nerves of the upper arm, which can cause damage to the child’s fingers, hands, or arms. Shoulder dystocia during birth is a typical cause.
Our Rock Hill birth injury attorneys represent all injured clients who suffered harm in the delivery room, no matter the reason for the negligence. We work with medical professionals to determine the cause of the harm and to determine the long-term prognosis and necessary treatments.
Our Rock Hill birth injury lawyers have the experience, resources, and tenacity you need
We have nearly 20 attorneys who can help you fight for justice for birth injury negligence. The Rock Hill birth malpractice lawyers at McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC, understand when cases must be filed, how to conduct discovery, and how to negotiate tough settlements. Please call 803-327-7800 or compete the contact form to schedule a free case evaluation in our Rock Hill, South Carolina office.