Rock Hill, SC Medical Malpractice Lawyers Fight For Your Future
Holding healthcare providers accountable for negligence in South Carolina for more than 20 years
Doctors and hospitals provide a valuable service. They help us stay well or get better when we are sick or hurt. Sadly, though, there are some healthcare providers who fail to provide a proper standard of medical care. Because they are poorly trained, rushed, or exhausted, or there’s a failure of communication, some medical providers do make mistakes. Tragic errors can cause a patient to die. Serious misjudgments can mean a patient needs around the clock care or has a great amount of suffering. Some patients never fully recover. At McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC, our Rock Hill medical malpractice lawyers have a proven track record of success. Trust our legal team to get you the compensation you need when medical malpractice causes you or a loved one harm in South Carolina.
Typical reasons for medical malpractice
Common types of medical malpractice cases our attorneys handle include:
- Failure to diagnose. An incorrect diagnosis can mean the difference between life and death or between long-term health care needs and getting healthy. A bad diagnosis often means necessary treatment is delayed and that inappropriate treatments may be given to the patient. Incorrect diagnosis is often caused by doctors who are rushed and inexperienced or by a failure to read medical charts correctly.
- ER medical malpractice. Emergency room physicians can fail to treat an emergency in time, fail to monitor a patient, delay admitting a patient in need, or provide inadequate care.
- Surgical malpractice. Errors in the operating room can create catastrophic or permanent injuries. Many mistakes cannot be corrected later. Surgery mistakes include operating on the wrong part of the anatomy, improper use of anesthesia, failing to perform the correct medical procedure or doing the procedure the wrong way, and leaving thread or medical devices inside the patient.
- Hospital malpractice. Hospitals have a duty to supervise and properly train their staff. They need to make sure doctors are qualified and current with the latest medical procedures. Hospital medical malpractice can include failing to contain contagious disease, not taking steps to reduce the risk of infection, and failing to keep equipment sterile.
- Obstetrical malpractice. OB negligence can occur before, during or after labor, and is one of the main causes of serious birth injuries and trauma. Our skilled team of attorneys can protect your family and your future if an act of OB malpractice has changed the course of your family’s life forever.
- Drug errors. Prescriptions that are too weak can fail to help a patient. Dosages that are too strong can create unnecessary dangers. Patients should be checked for all prescriptions and dosages. Doctors and pharmacists have an obligation to warn patients of the side effects of prescriptions.
- Lack of informed consent. Except in emergency cases, doctors and hospitals must tell their patients of the known risks of any medical procedure or course of treatment. Patient consents should be in writing.
Our Rock Hill medical malpractice lawyers understand the reasons doctors and hospitals make mistakes, helping us prove our client’s claims of negligence and supporting the damages we demand. When necessary, we work with independent doctors to determine what the treating or surgical doctors and hospitals did wrong. We bring claims against nurses, pharmacists, X-ray technicians, and other healthcare participants, in addition to filling claims against irresponsible doctors and hospitals.
Wrongful death and medical malpractice
Our Rock Hill medical malpractice attorneys also represent family members of patients who die due to medical malpractice. Damages in death cases include:
- Funeral bill expenses
- The loss of income the deceased would have provided each family member if the patient had survived
- The loss of emotional guidance and support the deceased patient would have given each family member
Our lawyers demand wrongful death damages if a patient dies due to negligence.
South Carolina follows the national standard of care when it comes to filing a medical malpractice case. We put our extensive skills and experience to work for you when an act of medical negligence has changed your life and future forever. We seek compensation for pain and suffering, lost income, medical expenses, and other appropriate damages on behalf of survivors. Our aim is to help our patients enjoy a life similar to the one they had before the medical malpractice happened or to compensate them for the reduction of life’s pleasures.
Make the call to an experienced Rock Hill medical malpractice attorney as soon as you can
The Rock Hill medical malpractice attorneys at McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC, have been helping injured patients and families get justice for more than 20 years. We work with compassion to answer your questions and fight aggressively to get insurance companies to pay full compensation for medical wrongs. Please call our firm at 888-302-7546 or use our contact form to schedule a free case evaluation at our Rock Hill, South Carolina office.