Experienced Rock Hill, SC Counsel for Victims of Obstetrical Malpractice
Fighting for full compensation for South Carolina victims of medical error during pregnancy
Expectant mothers need professional medical care to help make the pregnancy smooth and the delivery room a place of joy instead of sorrow. Experienced obstetric doctors anticipate a wide variety of medical problems. They test for problems, make correct diagnoses, and monitor the mother and fetus before, during, and after labor.
Unfortunately, too many doctors, nurses, and hospitals make tragic mistakes that can cause death, catastrophic harm, or permanent physical and emotional damage. At McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC, our dedicated Rock Hill obstetrical malpractice lawyers are experienced in determining why medical mistakes happened and who should be held accountable.
Types of pregnancy medical malpractice
Our Rock Hill OB negligence lawyers represent local South Carolina clients who have experienced the tragedy of botched pregnancies. Some of the types of cases our firm handles include:
- Delayed treatment. Competent doctors, nurses, and medical teams can often reduce or eliminate harm through a quick recognition of the medical problem and prompt treatment. They may be able to use a Caesarian, give medications, shift the fetus’s position, help increase oxygen flow, or use other techniques during the gestation period, the delivery, and post-delivery.
- Prescription mistakes. The right medication can stop a medical problem in its tracks. The wrong medication or the right drug in the wrong dosage can cause a problem to worsen or create new complications. OB/GYNs should know what drugs a mother is already using and what medications are needed for each type of medical problem.
- Testing mistakes. Doctors should be held accountable if they fail to order an ultrasound, blood tests, or other relevant tests during pregnancy. They also need to read the tests correctly and properly respond to abnormal results.
- Faulty monitoring of mother and child. Both the mother and child need to be monitored during the pregnancy, while the mother is in labor, and after the baby is born. They should be checked for oxygen supply, heart rhythms, and breathing difficulties. Failure to properly monitor either mother or child can cause death or a lifetime of medical complications.
- Failure to address placental abruption. The placenta provides nourishment to a fetus. If the placenta moves away from a mother’s uterus, complications can begin. The dangers of the moving the placenta, called placental abruption, include the loss of blood, oxygen, or crucial nutrients.
- Placenta previa difficulty. The placenta should move as the fetus matures. If the placenta does not move properly, the failure of an OB/GYN to act can cause bleeding and other health issues for the mother and the child.
- Gestational diabetes. An improper amount of sugar in the mother can complicate the pregnancy and delivery for both the mother and child. Mothers are at risk for Type 2 diabetes, preeclampsia, and difficulties in future pregnancies. The baby may suffer breathing problems, brachial plexus, and other problems.
- Preeclampsia complications. Preeclampsia, which can cause placental abruption, loss of oxygen, seizures, and other medical problems, is a common problem in pregnancies. Trained doctors should look for the signs of preeclampsia, including high blood pressure, and treat the complications professionally.
- Midwife negligence. Midwives can help deliver a child naturally. However, there are serious risks in using a midwife. The midwife may not be properly licensed, may not recognize emergencies in time, and may fail to direct a mother who is high risk to a hospital.
Our Rock Hill obstetrical malpractice attorneys have the experience and resources to handle any type of medical mistake involving mothers and children. We fight for justice, whether the injuries are short-term, long-term, or if they result in wrongful death.
Talk to a professional Rock Hill OB malpractice attorney for reliable advice
Delay can damage your legal case and also affect the chances for a better medical recovery. At McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC, our Rock Hill birth OB malpractice attorneys are ready to help victims of medical malpractice now. We work tirelessly to determine fault and bring claims against the healthcare providers that changed your life or the life of someone you love. Please call our office at 888-302-7546 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free case evaluation. We represent Rock Hill clients and clients across South Carolina.