Experienced Columbia Auto Accident Representation for Injured Drivers, Passengers, and Pedestrians
Protecting the rights of car crash victims in South Carolina
Recent South Carolina driving statistics confirm how dangerous operating a vehicle in the state can be. One person is killed every 11.4 hours. Less than every 11 minutes, someone is injured. A traffic collision occurs every 4.6 minutes. These accidents cause deaths, catastrophic injuries, broken bones, breathing problems, and many other devastating injuries.
At McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC, we have auto accident lawyers who are ready to help you get justice for harm caused by others. Our legal team has a strong track record of success, including substantial jury verdicts and settlements. Our success throughout South Carolina is based on our dedication to detail, a thorough understanding of the law and common defense strategies, and strong advocacy. We are committed to getting each client every dollar they deserve.
Common types of auto accidents
Our Columbia auto accident lawyers handle vehicle crashes including passenger cars, trucks, motorcycles, golf carts and any other types of motorized vehicle. We represent clients in all types of car crash cases, including:
- Multi-vehicle accident cases
- Head-on collisions
- Broadside accidents
- Rear-end collisions
We file claims in federal as well as state courts.
In all auto crash cases, we demand payment for lost wages, medical bills, physical pain, emotional suffering, disfigurement, scarring, and property damage. When defendants act recklessly or in a grossly negligent manner, our lawyers demand that punitive damages be paid by the parties responsible.
If a loved one is killed in a car crash, we bring wrongful death claims on behalf of the surviving family members. Family members can claim damages for the loss of financial support and the loss of the comfort and guidance the loved one would have given the family members if he or she had not been unjustly killed.
Typical causes of auto accidents
Our Columbia car accident attorneys are adept at determining the cause of each car accident. Some common reasons for auto crashes are:
- Distracted driving. Drivers who take their eyes off the road, or even just one hand off the steering wheel, for any reason are more likely to get into an accident than attentive drivers. Driver distraction includes texting, talking on a cellphone, reading a map, and adjusting a radio station.
- DWI and DUI. People who drive while intoxicated or under the influence of narcotics are a danger to everyone around them. Drunk and drugged drivers cannot react to traffic. Worse, safe drivers cannot anticipate what the irresponsible drivers will do, so the safe drivers cannot avoid collisions.
- Negligent driving. Many car accidents happen because drivers fail to obey the traffic laws of South Carolina. They run red lights, speed, and commit other driving violations. Even when drivers obey the strict letter of the law, they can still be held accountable if they fail to use reasonable judgment.
- Car defects. Some cars have defective parts. Cars with bad steering systems, explosive tanks, lights that do not work, or seatbelts that malfunction should not be on the road. Our firm brings product liability lawsuits against manufacturers and sellers for faulty product design and workmanship. When appropriate, we also bring class action lawsuits for defective car parts.
- Reckless driving. Drivers who constantly switch lanes, travel at extremely high speeds, or show a complete disregard for others on the roadways need to be held responsible for their actions.
- Poorly designed or maintained roads. Government agencies and the repair crews they hire have a duty to design good roads and to keep them safe.
If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident caused by another’s negligent behavior, turn to our firm to seek compensation.
For immediate help, speak with a professional Columbia car accident attorney today
Delay can harm your case. The sooner you speak with one of the experienced lawyers at McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC, the sooner we can investigate the cause of the accident, speak with witnesses, and review your medical care. Please call us at 888-302-7546 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation at our Columbia, South Carolina office.