Columbia, SC Car Accident Lawyers
Protecting the rights of car crash victims in South Carolina
With Interstates 77, 126, and 20 all running through the Columbia area, the risk of being involved in a car accident is high. And, auto accidents can cause thousands of injuries to our citizens each year – from fractured bones to lifelong disability. When you or a loved one suffer injury and loss in an accident that wasn’t your fault, you may be eligible for financial compensation from the negligent party.
According to statistics from the South Carolina Department of Public Safety, a person is injured in a car accident once almost every nine minutes, and one is killed almost every nine hours. At McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC, we have Columbia auto accident lawyers ready to help you get justice for harm caused by others. Our legal team has a strong track record of success, including substantial jury verdicts and settlements.
Our success throughout South Carolina is based on our dedication to detail, a thorough understanding of the law and common defense strategies, and strong advocacy. We are committed to getting each client every dollar they deserve.
I worked with Chance on my case and I truly cannot sing his praises enough. He kept me informed on the progress of my case, provided me with the facts and his honest, professional opinion throughout the entire process....
What are the most common types of car accidents?
Our Columbia auto accident lawyers handle all kinds of car crashes including passenger cars, SUVs and trucks, motorcycles, golf carts and any other types of motorized vehicle. We represent clients in all types of car crash cases, including:
- Multi-vehicle accident cases
- Head-on collisions
- Broadside accidents
- Rear-end collisions
We file claims in federal as well as state courts.
In all auto crash cases, we demand payment for lost wages, medical bills, physical pain, emotional suffering, disfigurement, scarring, and property damage. When defendants act recklessly or in a grossly negligent manner, our lawyers demand that punitive damages be paid by the parties responsible.
If a loved one is killed in a car crash, we bring wrongful death claims on behalf of the surviving family members. Family members can claim damages for the loss of financial support and the loss of the comfort and guidance the loved one would have given the family members if he or she had not been unjustly killed.
How do Columbia, SC auto accidents happen?
Our Columbia car accident attorneys are adept at determining the cause of each car accident. Some common reasons for auto crashes are:
- Distracted driving. Drivers who take their eyes off the road, or even just one hand off the steering wheel, for any reason are more likely to get into an accident than attentive drivers. Driver distraction includes texting, talking on a cellphone, reading a map, and adjusting a radio station.
- DWI and DUI. People who drive while intoxicated or under the influence of narcotics are a danger to everyone around them. Drunk and drugged drivers cannot react to traffic. Worse, safe drivers cannot anticipate what the irresponsible drivers will do, so the safe drivers cannot avoid collisions.
- Negligent driving. Many car accidents happen because drivers fail to obey the traffic laws of South Carolina. They run red lights, speed, and commit other driving violations. Even when drivers obey the strict letter of the law, they can still be held accountable if they fail to use reasonable judgment.
- Car defects. Some cars have defective parts. Cars with bad steering systems, explosive tanks, lights that do not work, or seatbelts that malfunction should not be on the road. Our firm brings product liability lawsuits against manufacturers and sellers for faulty product design and workmanship. When appropriate, we also bring class action lawsuits for defective car parts.
- Reckless driving. Drivers who constantly switch lanes, travel at extremely high speeds, or show a complete disregard for others on the roadways need to be held responsible for their actions.
- Poorly designed or maintained roads. Government agencies and the repair crews they hire have a duty to design good roads and to keep them safe.
If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident caused by another’s negligent behavior, turn to our firm to seek compensation for your injuries.
What kinds of injuries happen in car crashes?
The injuries you might experience in an auto accident depend on the type of wreck you’re involved in, and can range from mild to severe to catastrophic. Some people recover from injuries in a matter of weeks, and some may suffer from aftereffects for years. Our firm works with victims who have suffered all types of injuries and physical trauma, including:
- Broken and fractured bones
- Burn injuries
- Spinal injuries
- Traumatic brain injury
- Whiplash and soft tissue injuries
- Wrongful death
After a car accident, you should always see a doctor, even if you feel your injury is mild. Some injuries, especially soft tissue and muscle injuries, don’t show symptoms until a few days later. Ensure you document all visits to the ER or doctor for your insurance company and for your injury attorney.
How much is my Columbia car wreck claim worth?
Calculating the value of a car accident claim is complex and takes time. If your insurance company offers an immediate settlement, you should be wary. The attorneys at McGowan, Hood & Felder work to ensure you receive fair compensation for your losses, including:
- Current and future medical bills
- Lost wages and future earning capability
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life and companionship
- Property damage to your vehicle and other possessions
- In the case of wrongful death, funeral and burial expenses
We work with expert professionals to gain a full understanding of the scope of your injury and losses – not just now but through the rest of your life. We can help.
For immediate help, speak with a professional Columbia car accident attorney today
Delay can harm your case. The sooner you speak with one of the experienced lawyers at McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC, the sooner we can investigate the cause of the accident, speak with witnesses, and review your medical care. Please call us at 803-327-7800 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation at our Columbia, South Carolina office.