South Carolina Financial Abuse Lawyers Fight for Injured Nursing Home Seniors
Professional counsel for elders who lose money or benefits
A study by MetLife Mature Market Institute found that financial abuse of the elderly amounts to $2.6 billion a year. The numbers may even be worse because, according to MetLife, only one in six cases of senior financial abuse is ever reported. Financial abuse is often an afterthought because most abuse of the elderly focuses on physical, emotional, and sexual abuse. Financial abuse of seniors in nursing homes occurs, in part, because staff may take advantage of a person’s good nature or because the staff have easy access to many of his or her financial records.
At McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC, our lawyers handle a full range of nursing home abuse cases. We know the federal and state nursing home laws, what rights seniors have in nursing homes, and the common ways seniors are abused. Our South Carolina financial abuse attorneys have more than 100 years of combined experience holding nursing homes accountable for failing to protect our most vulnerable residents. We help abused seniors get financial reimbursement and peace of mind.
Kinds of financial abuse in nursing homes
There are many ways nursing home staff and managers can take financial advantage of seniors. Some of the more common ways are:
- Cashing a senior’s personal checks
- Using an elder person’s credit card or ATM card
- Forging the senior’s name
- Charging for unapproved or unnecessary expenses
- Failing to pay the senior’s bill properly if there is authority to pay the bills
- Fraudulently getting the senior to sign an important financial document
Signs of nursing home financial abuse
Seniors, their family, and friends of the elder resident should be on the lookout for the following signs of financial abuse:
- Recent changes in a patient’s will
- The creation of new powers of attorney
- Signatures that do not look like the senior resident’s, which may be forgeries
- Adding new names to financial documents such as bank withdraw authorizations
- Unexplained nursing home charges
When a loved one is taken advantage of, give our South Carolina attorneys a call
McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC, are dedicated, driven, and committed to delivering results. Financial abuse of seniors matters to us. If you suspect financial foul play of a senior resident, let us help the elder nursing home resident obtain the justice and compensation you deserve.
Contact McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC, today. Call 803-327-7800 and schedule a free case evaluation with an experienced South Carolina nursing home financial abuse attorney, or fill out our contact form from any device. We proudly serve people throughout the state from offices in Columbia, Anderson, Rock Hill, Sumter, and Georgetown.