Bicycle and Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in South Carolina
Strong advocacy for victims who ride bicycles and walk
According to the National Highway Traffic Administration, 743 pedal-cyclists were killed in 2013, and close to 50,000 were injured as the result of a motor vehicle impact. There were more than 4,400 pedestrian deaths in 2013. Each person who is injured in a bicycle or pedestrian accident may suffer severe and often permanent injuries. These injuries can create long-lasting physical and emotional pain, even after years of medical treatment. Tragically, the bills to pay for the medical care and financial hardship due to lost wages can be staggering.
At McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC, our attorneys help bike riders and pedestrians who are struck by vehicles. Our South Carolina bicycle and pedestrian lawyers have successfully negotiated settlements and obtained jury verdicts worth millions on behalf of our clients. Riding a bicycle and walking should be a relaxing way to get exercise and enjoy nature – not a reason to be transported to a hospital or a grave. Let us help you understand your legal options. We will work to get you full compensation when you are injured.
What damages can a victim of a South Carolina bicycle or pedestrian accident claim?
Every case is different. Each victim will have different medical problems. The core damages our South Carolina bicycle and pedestrian accident lawyers may demand are:
- Payment for medical expenses. Accident victims have the right to be reimbursed for the cost of surgeries, doctor visits, physical therapy, medical equipment, and medications if a driver strikes them negligently.
- Lost wages. Bicyclists and pedestrians should be compensated for their lost income when another person causes their injuries and inability to work.
- Pain and suffering. Injured victims suffer daily with the physical pain of their injuries and the emotional suffering of not being able to do daily tasks or enjoy their families. They should be compensated for these sufferings when they were in the right.
- Punitive damages. In some cases, a lawyer at McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC, may seek punitive damages. Punitive damages are meant to punish the driver for gross misconduct.
- Wrongful death lawsuits. When a loved one is tragically killed due to a bicycle or pedestrian accident, the family has a right to sue the wrongdoer for the loss of society and services and for other damages.
Partial fault in South Carolina accident cases
South Carolina is a modified comparative fault state. In pedestrian and bicycle accident cases, that means injury victims may still be entitled to recover compensation, even when they are partially at fault. The law is complicated, which is why it is wise to consult with an experienced South Carolina bike and pedestrian accident attorney. Insurance companies may place disproportionate blame on pedestrians to deny their compensation. Bicycle and pedestrian accident cases require the skill of an experienced attorney who fights for you.
Contact the South Carolina attorneys at McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC, for help
The lawyers at McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC, have a proven track record of success in bike and pedestrian accident cases. Our lawyers are dedicated, driven, and committed to delivering results. Your personal injury case matters to us. Let us help you obtain the justice and compensation you deserve.
Contact McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC, today. Call 888.302.7546 and schedule a free case evaluation by a South Carolina bike and pedestrian accident attorney, or fill out our contact form from any device. We proudly serve people throughout South Carolina from offices in Columbia, Anderson, Rock Hill, Sumter, and Georgetown.