South Carolina Slip and Fall Attorneys Provide Strong Counsel for Injured Victims
Fighting for full compensation when you are hurt on someone’s property
A slip and fall accident can change a person’s life in an instant. One second you are making purchases, enjoying food in a restaurant, or just walking your dog – and the next second you are on the floor in agony and pain. Property owners in South Carolina have a duty to keep aisles free from debris, the floors dry, and the pavements even. If you slip or trip and then suffer injuries, you may have the right to sue the owners for pain and suffering, medical bills, and lost wages.
At McGowan, Hood and Felder, LLC, our personal injury lawyers have over 100 years of combined experience helping slip and fall victims. Insurance companies will often attempt to deny liability. Whatever the reason for the fall, one of our skilled South Carolina slip and fall attorneys is ready to fight for the compensation you deserve. Our lawyers have obtained millions in settlements and jury verdicts because we determine why the accident happened and counter the arguments defense lawyers make. We are prepared to help you get justice.
Slip and fall law in South Carolina
In order to prevail in a South Carolina slip and fall case, a South Carolina slip and fall attorney at our office works to prove that:
- You had a right to be on the property.Anyone shopping for goods or using a service generally has the right to be on the owner’s property if they are there during regular business hours. If you were invited into someone’s home for dinner, for a playdate with your children, or any reason, the host needs to make sure the property is safe. Even if you are just passing through a parking lot or getting your exercise by walking in a local shopping mall, South Carolina premises liability law should work in your favor. Trespassers will generally not be able to sue if they slip and fall, though exceptions may apply.
- The owner knew, or should have known, that something was wrong with the property. If the owner directly knew there was a crack in the sidewalk or that the lighting was not working, proving liability is easier. In many cases, our lawyers need to show that the property defect was in place well before you slipped and that the property owner could have done something to fix it or to warn you.
- Your injuries were caused by the fall.We work with your treating doctors who can usually verify that the fall caused your broken bones, nerve damage, or any other injuries you have. If a loved one died due to a fall, our lawyers will likely bring a wrongful death.
Reasons people slip and fall
Blame should not be placed on the victim of a slip and fall accident. Property owners must know the reasons people can slip or trip and take precautionary steps so nobody gets hurt. Some of the common reasons people slip and fall are:
- The floor is wet or slippery
- There is an object or merchandise on the floor that customers cannot see
- There is a change in store level or pavement level
- A crack in a sidewalk has not been repaired
- Supportive devices such as railings do not work
- Steps are unsafe
- The lighting is poor or nonexistent
Investigative steps our lawyers take
Whatever the cause of the accident or the location of the fall, an experienced South Carolina slip and fall lawyer is needed to prove liability and get you the damage award you deserve. In many slip and fall cases, there are no witnesses, so liability has to be proven by indirect means. Some of the investigative steps our lawyers at McGowan, Hood, Felder & Phillips, LLC, take include:
- Taking photographs of the area where you fell
- Getting a copy of your incident report, as well as any incident reports that were filed before you fell
- Review any violations of local, state, or federal building or housing laws
- Determine if there are any witnesses
- Examine if the property owner used any maintenance crews
- Verify exactly who the owners are
If a property failed to inspect their property for defects, they should be accountable when a customer or visitor falls. At McGowan, Hood, Felder & Phillips, LLC, our lawyers work tirelessly to make wrongdoers pay so victims can get a full damage award, and the property owner makes the necessary repairs.
Put your trust in the South Carolina law firm that puts injured victims and their families first
McGowan, Hood, Felder & Phillips, LLC, are dedicated, driven, and committed to delivering results. Your slip and fall accident case matters to us. If you suffered an injury or a loved one died because of a slip and fall, let us help you obtain the justice and compensation you deserve.
Contact McGowan, Hood, Felder & Phillips, LLC, today. Call 803-327-7800 and schedule a free case evaluation with an experienced South Carolina slip and fall accident attorney or fill out our contact form from any device. We proudly serve people throughout the state from offices in Columbia, Anderson, Rock Hill, Sumter, and Georgetown.