South Carolina Vehicle Accident Lawyers Explain Why Reckless Drivers are So Dangerous
McGowan, Hood & Felder, LLC, attorneys hold reckless drivers accountable
Reckless driving, also known as aggressive driving, is a major cause of car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, and bicycle and pedestrian accidents. The term refers to driving without regard to the safety of others. It is more than just being negligent. Reckless driving, as a South Carolina reckless accident lawyer at our firm understands, involves willful or wanton conduct. It is a deliberate failure to exercise due care. A driver does not have to violate South Carolina motor vehicle laws to be reckless. For example, a driver who knows he is sleepy but continues to drive instead of stopping somewhere he can rest, is reckless.
The South Carolina reckless driving attorneys at McGowan, Hood & Felder have the proficiency to prove a driver was reckless. We review the police report to see if the driver was cited by the police for reckless driving or any motor vehicle violation. We also review the scene of the accident. Long skid marks may indicate the driver was going way too fast for conditions. Severe damage to the front of the reckless driver’s auto indicate the driver was too close to you. Our lawyers and professionals work tirelessly to hold reckless drivers accountable for their complete disregard of people’s safety.
Examples of reckless driving
Some of the most common examples of reckless driving include:
- Driving at excessive speeds
- Swerving in and out of lanes
- Passing without looking
- Failing to obey traffic signals and traffic signs
- Tailgating – driving too closely
- Driving on the wrong side of the road or on the shoulder of the road
Why reckless driving is different
Reckless driving is worse than just being negligent or careless. When it comes to proving fault, we must show that:
- Reckless driving is willful. People who make mistakes should be liable for the harm they cause. Still, it is understandable that people make mistakes. It is NOT understandable that people disregard the safety of others.
- Reckless driving is extremely dangerous. Reckless driving can result in catastrophic injuries and even death. Each South Carolina reckless driving attorney who works at our firm fights to get our clients payment for all of their medical bills including future medical bills, lost and future wages, pain and suffering, property damage and other damages.
- The insurance companies are wrong about the severity of the accident. Insurance companies will try to convince a jury or a lawyer that the driver was just negligent or not at fault. Because we have been trying cases for over 20 years, we anticipate the tactics insurance companies like to use. We counter those tactics. We fight every step of the way towards a just and fair outcome.
Because of the seriousness of these accidents, a South Carolina reckless driving accident lawyer at our firm may request punitive damages. Punitive damages are meant to punish the wrongdoer – to make sure the driver does not drive recklessly ever again. Proof of reckless driving may also mitigate any contributory negligence on the part of the injured victim.
Don’t let reckless drivers get away with inexcusable conduct
Some drivers think they own the road. They do not. If a reckless driver causes you harm or caused the wrongful death of a loved one, you have the right to make the reckless driver pay. A South Carolina reckless driving lawyer at McGowan, Hood & Felder LLC, will not quit until the reckless driver and his or her insurance company is forced to pay for their misconduct. Our firm takes cases on a contingency fee basis which means we do not get paid unless you win. Please call our firm for a free consultation.
You can reach us at 803-327-7800 or submit our online form. We have offices in Anderson, SC; Columbia, SC; Rock Hill, SC; Sumter, SC; and Georgetown, SC.